A Story to Embody: Thursday of Holy Week

In today's readings, we see Jesus wash His disciples' feet.  There were several things that stood out to me while I was reading the passage.  First of all, Jesus was fully aware of who He was and that He had all power.  The very next sentence says that because He knew this He chose to take on an example of servanthood and wash His disciples' feet.  The third powerful thing, is that Judas is still in the room when Jesus is doing this.  Jesus lived out what He said, "To love our enemies" to the fullest.  He fully knew what Judas was about to do, but He humbled Himself and served Judas anyway.  POWERFUL.



Exodus 12:1-14
The Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron in the land of Egypt:2 "This month will be the beginning of months, the first month of the year for you.3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man must get one lamb for the people in his house.4 If there are not enough people in his house to eat a whole lamb, he must share it with his closest neighbor, considering the number of people. There must be enough lamb for everyone to eat.5 The lamb must be a one-year-old male that has nothing wrong with it. This animal can be either a young sheep or a young goat.6 Take care of the animals until the fourteenth day of the month. On that day all the people of the community of Israel will kill them in the evening before dark.7 The people must take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the lambs.8 On this night they must roast the lamb over a fire. They must eat it with bitter herbs and bread made without yeast.9 Do not eat the lamb raw or boiled in water. Roast the whole lamb over a fire—with its head, legs, and inner organs.10 You must not leave any of it until morning, but if any of it is left over until morning, you must burn it with fire.


11 "This is the way you must eat it: You must be fully dressed as if you were going on a trip. You must have your sandals on and your walking stick in your hand. You must eat it in a hurry; this is the Lord's Passover.

12 "That night I will go through the land of Egypt and kill all the firstborn animals and people in the land of Egypt. I will also punish all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord.13 But the blood will be a sign on the houses where you are. When I see the blood, I will pass over you. Nothing terrible will hurt you when I punish the land of Egypt.

14 "You are always to remember this day and celebrate it with a feast to the Lord. Your descendants are to honor the Lord with this feast from now on.


Psalm 116:1-2, 12-19
1 I love the Lord,
because he listens to my prayers for help.
He paid attention to me,
so I will call to him for help as long as I live.
What can I give the Lord
for all the good things he has given to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation,
and I will pray to the Lord.
I will give the Lord what I promised
in front of all his people.

The death of one that belongs to the Lord
is precious in his sight.
Lord, I am your servant;
I am your servant and the son of your female servant.
You have freed me from my chains.
I will give you an offering to show thanks to you,
and I will pray to the Lord.
I will give the Lord what I promised
in front of all his people,
in the Temple courtyards
in Jerusalem.
Praise the Lord!

I Corinthians 11:23-26
The teaching I gave you is the same teaching I received from the Lord: On the night when the Lord Jesus was handed over to be killed, he took bread 24 and gave thanks for it. Then he broke the bread and said, "This is my body; it is[a] for you. Do this to remember me." 25 In the same way, after they ate, Jesus took the cup. He said, "This cup is the new agreement that is sealed with the blood of my death. When you drink this, do it to remember me." 26 Every time you eat this bread and drink this cup you are telling others about the Lord's death until he comes.


John 13:1-17
Jesus Washes His Followers' Feet
1 It was almost time for the Passover Feast. Jesus knew that it was time for him to leave this world and go back to the Father. He had always loved those who were his own in the world, and he loved them all the way to the end.

2 Jesus and his followers were at the evening meal. The devil had already persuaded Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, to turn against Jesus.3 Jesus knew that the Father had given him power over everything and that he had come from God and was going back to God.4 So during the meal Jesus stood up and took off his outer clothing. Taking a towel, he wrapped it around his waist.5 Then he poured water into a bowl and began to wash the followers' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6 Jesus came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"

7 Jesus answered, "You don't understand now what I am doing, but you will understand later."

8 Peter said, "No, you will never wash my feet."

Jesus answered, "If I don't wash your feet, you are not one of my people."

9 Simon Peter answered, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but wash my hands and my head, too!"

10 Jesus said, "After a person has had a bath, his whole body is clean. He needs only to wash his feet. And you men are clean, but not all of you." 11 Jesus knew who would turn against him, and that is why he said, "Not all of you are clean."

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and sat down again. He asked, "Do you understand what I have just done for you? 13 You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and you are right, because that is what I am.14 If I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash each other's feet.15 I did this as an example so that you should do as I have done for you.16 I tell you the truth, a servant is not greater than his master. A messenger is not greater than the one who sent him. 17 If you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

In Christ,
 



For more information on why I include these readings read: A Story to Embody

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...