A Story to Embody: Sixth Sunday in Lent

Thank you for taking time to fill out my survey.  It was very helpful for me and I learned a few things!  One of  which was that people actually read and enjoy my book reviews, which I was glad to hear because I like doing them.  My blogger friend Jeane' over at The Coffee Cottage won the random drawing for the book A Heart for Freedom by Chai Lang. (If you are looking for a sophisticated and humorous view of being a stay-at-home Mom intertwined with pearls of faith, Jeane's blog is the place to stop.)

Back to the purpose of this post, we are one week away from Easter!!!!!!  The Lectionary readings include readings for everyday this week.  I am going to go ahead and post them daily.  Therefore, there will be a pause in my marriage series and it will pick up the week after Easter.  Enjoy this week as we reflect on the wonder of the cross and the love of our beautiful Saviour.



Liturgy of the Psalms
Psalm 118:1-2, 19-29
Thank the Lord because he is good.

His love continues forever.
 Let the people of Israel say,
"His love continues forever."
 Open for me the Temple gates.
Then I will come in and thank the Lord.
 This is the Lord's gate;
only those who are good may enter through it.
 Lord, I thank you for answering me.
You have saved me.
The stone that the builders rejected
became the cornerstone.
The Lord did this,
and it is wonderful to us.
 This is the day that the Lord has made.
Let us rejoice and be glad today!
Please, Lord, save us;
please, Lord, give us success.
God bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord.
We bless all of you from the Temple of the Lord.
The Lord is God,
and he has shown kindness to us.
With branches in your hands, join the feast.
Come to the corners of the altar.
 You are my God, and I will thank you;
you are my God, and I will praise your greatness.
Thank the Lord because he is good.
His love continues forever.


Mark 11:1-11
As Jesus and his followers were coming closer to Jerusalem, they came to the towns of Bethphage and Bethany near the Mount of Olives. From there Jesus sent two of his followers 2 and said to them, "Go to the town you can see there. When you enter it, you will quickly find a colt tied, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here to me. 3 If anyone asks you why you are doing this, tell him its Master needs the colt, and he will send it at once."

4 The followers went into the town, found a colt tied in the street near the door of a house, and untied it.5 Some people were standing there and asked, "What are you doing? Why are you untying that colt?"6 The followers answered the way Jesus told them to answer, and the people let them take the colt.

7 They brought the colt to Jesus and put their coats on it, and Jesus sat on it.8 Many people spread their coats on the road. Others cut branches in the fields and spread them on the road. 9 The people were walking ahead of Jesus and behind him, shouting,

"Praise God!
God bless the One who comes in the name of the Lord! — Psalm 118:26
God bless the kingdom of our father David!
That kingdom is coming!
Praise to God in heaven!"


Liturgy of the Passion

Isaiah 50:4-9a
The Lord God gave me the ability to teach
so that I know what to say to make the weak strong.
Every morning he wakes me.
He teaches me to listen like a student.
The Lord God helps me learn,
and I have not turned against him
nor stopped following him.
 I offered my back to those who beat me.
I offered my cheeks to those who pulled my beard.
I won't hide my face from them
when they make fun of me and spit at me.
The Lord God helps me,
so I will not be ashamed.
I will be determined,
and I know I will not be disgraced.
He shows that I am innocent, and he is close to me.
So who can accuse me?
If there is someone, let us go to court together.
If someone wants to prove I have done wrong,
he should come and tell me.
Look! It is the Lord God who helps me.
So who can prove me guilty?

Psalm 31:9-16
Lord, have mercy, because I am in misery.

My eyes are weak from so much crying,
and my whole being is tired from grief.
My life is ending in sadness,
and my years are spent in crying.
My troubles are using up my strength,
and my bones are getting weaker.
Because of all my troubles, my enemies hate me,
and even my neighbors look down on me.
When my friends see me,
they are afraid and run.
I am like a piece of a broken pot.
I am forgotten as if I were dead.
I have heard many insults.
Terror is all around me.
They make plans against me
and want to kill me.
Lord, I trust you.
I have said, "You are my God."
My life is in your hands.
Save me from my enemies
and from those who are chasing me.
Show your kindness to me, your servant.
Save me because of your love.

Philippians 2:5-11
In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.
Christ himself was like God in everything.
But he did not think that being equal with God was something to be used for his own benefit.
But he gave up his place with God and made himself nothing.
He was born as a man
and became like a servant.
And when he was living as a man,
he humbled himself and was fully obedient to God,
even when that caused his death—death on a cross.
So God raised him to the highest place.
God made his name greater than every other name
so that every knee will bow to the name of Jesus—
everyone in heaven, on earth, and under the earth.
And everyone will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord
and bring glory to God the Father.

Mark 14:1-15

The Plan to Kill Jesus

1 It was now only two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The leading priests and teachers of the law were trying to find a trick to arrest Jesus and kill him.2 But they said, "We must not do it during the feast, because the people might cause a riot."

A Woman with Perfume for Jesus

3 Jesus was in Bethany at the house of Simon, who had a skin disease. While Jesus was eating there, a woman approached him with an alabaster jar filled with very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She opened the jar and poured the perfume on Jesus' head.

4 Some who were there became upset and said to each other, "Why waste that perfume?5 It was worth a full year's work. It could have been sold and the money given to the poor." And they got very angry with the woman.

6 Jesus said, "Leave her alone. Why are you troubling her? She did an excellent thing for me. 7 You will always have the poor with you, and you can help them anytime you want. But you will not always have me.8 This woman did the only thing she could do for me; she poured perfume on my body to prepare me for burial. 9 I tell you the truth, wherever the Good News is preached in all the world, what this woman has done will be told, and people will remember her."

Judas Becomes an Enemy of Jesus

10 One of the twelve apostles, Judas Iscariot, went to talk to the leading priests to offer to hand Jesus over to them.11 These priests were pleased about this and promised to pay Judas money. So he watched for the best time to turn Jesus in.

Jesus Eats the Passover Meal

12 It was now the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread when the Passover lamb was sacrificed. Jesus' followers said to him, "Where do you want us to go and prepare for you to eat the Passover meal?"

13 Jesus sent two of his followers and said to them, "Go into the city and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him. 14 When he goes into a house, tell the owner of the house, 'The Teacher says: "Where is my guest room in which I can eat the Passover meal with my followers?" ' 15 The owner will show you a large room upstairs that is furnished and ready. Prepare the food for us there."



In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...