A Story to Embody: Holy Saturday

The Easter story never ceases to amaze me.  Even though I know what tomorrow brings, I still get caught up in the emotions of this day.  I cannot imagine the darkness, the sadness and the despair everyone felt on Saturday.  I'm sure they felt defeated, abandoned and confused.  As we sit in the darkness of Saturday, waiting on the dawning of Sunday, may we remember that we don't always see what God is up to; only He knows what tomorrow brings.  Trusting in Him is the safest place to rest.

Lamentations 3:19-24
Lord, remember my suffering and my misery,
my sorrow and trouble.
Please remember me
and think about me.
But I have hope
when I think of this:

The Lord's love never ends;
his mercies never stop.
They are new every morning;
Lord, your loyalty is great.
I say to myself, "The Lord is mine,
so I hope in him."


Psalm 31:1-4, 15-16
Lord, I trust in you;
let me never be disgraced.
Save me because you do what is right.
Listen to me
and save me quickly.
Be my rock of protection,
a strong city to save me.
You are my rock and my protection.
For the good of your name, lead me and guide me.
Set me free from the trap they set for me,
because you are my protection.
My life is in your hands.

Save me from my enemies
and from those who are chasing me.
Show your kindness to me, your servant.
Save me because of your love.


I Peter 4:1-8
Since Christ suffered while he was in his body, strengthen yourselves with the same way of thinking Christ had. The person who has suffered in the body is finished with sin.2 Strengthen yourselves so that you will live here on earth doing what God wants, not the evil things people want.3 In the past you wasted too much time doing what nonbelievers enjoy. You were guilty of sexual sins, evil desires, drunkenness, wild and drunken parties, and hateful idol worship.4 Nonbelievers think it is strange that you do not do the many wild and wasteful things they do, so they insult you.5 But they will have to explain this to God, who is ready to judge the living and the dead.6 For this reason the Good News was preached to those who are now dead. Even though they were judged like all people, the Good News was preached to them so they could live in the spirit as God lives.


7 The time is near when all things will end. So think clearly and control yourselves so you will be able to pray. 8 Most importantly, love each other deeply, because love will cause people to forgive each other for many sins.


Matthew 27:57-66
That evening a rich man named Joseph, a follower of Jesus from the town of Arimathea, came to Jerusalem.58 Joseph went to Pilate and asked to have Jesus' body. So Pilate gave orders for the soldiers to give it to Joseph.59 Then Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth.60 He put Jesus' body in a new tomb that he had cut out of a wall of rock, and he rolled a very large stone to block the entrance of the tomb. Then Joseph went away.61 Mary Magdalene and the other woman named Mary were sitting near the tomb.


The Tomb of Jesus Is Guarded

62 The next day, the day after Preparation Day, the leading priests and the Pharisees went to Pilate. 63 They said, "Sir, we remember that while that liar was still alive he said, 'After three days I will rise from the dead.' 64 So give the order for the tomb to be guarded closely till the third day. Otherwise, his followers might come and steal the body and tell people that he has risen from the dead. That lie would be even worse than the first one."

65 Pilate said, "Take some soldiers and go guard the tomb the best way you know."66 So they all went to the tomb and made it safe from thieves by sealing the stone in the entrance and putting soldiers there to guard it.


In Christ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...