Part 13: 2013 The finale

Romans 14:19
19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

It is hard for me to believe that this series 13 Thoughts for 2013 began way back in January.  Little did I know when I started it that the Lord was taking me on a journey and that these verses would be progressive stepping stones for me.  The journey through these verses included many tears, sleepless nights and wrestling out these truths in His presence.  I hope that I have emerged refined by the process.  

This journey is sealed with a truth that is for the ages: Let us make EVERY effort to lead to peace and the edification of others.

On Friday, I had to do that very thing and so I took the time to reread this entire series.  I realized that the truths that came before - especially regarding the heart of God towards others - were exactly what I needed to see manifestation in my life.

As I was finalizing this post, I came across these thoughts found in Tell it Slant by Eugene Peterson, which seal the process that I have been in over the last 6 months:

Prayer accomplishes with us, within our spirits, deep within our souls, what is later lived out in the circumstances and conditions of our obedience.  A stiff upper lip won't do it.  A fierce resolve won't do it.  An exemplary life won't do it.

Prayer goes beneath the surface and penetrates the heart of the matter... When we pray we willingly participate in what God is doing, without knowing precisely what God is doing, how God is doing it, or when we will know what is going on - if ever. (pg.237)



So, I would like to close this series with a prayer from Saint Patrick.  I think this prayer encapsulates this series:

  As I arise today,
may the strength of God pilot me,
the power of God uphold me,
the wisdom of God guide me.
May the eye of God look before me,
the ear of God hear me,
the word of God speak for me.
May the hand of God protect me,
the way of God lie before me,
the shield of God defend me,
the host of God save me.
May Christ shield me today.
Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit,
Christ when I stand,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
Amen

As the finishing touch to this series - I am sending us back to the beginning.  For the next 13 weekdays I will be running each post in consecutive order.  I hope you will be blessed, renewed, refined and encouraged by the process.  If you've enjoyed this series, consider asking a friend to come along with you the second time through.  They can follow via Facebook, Google plus or as an email subscriber.

In Christ,

1 comment:

  1. Charles and Ceri BeattyJuly 10, 2013

    Looking forward to also going back to the beginning of this beautiful series!

    ReplyDelete

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...