Lessons from my children 4: Doing something great

This morning my kids decided to make a picture together as a present for their Dad and I.  "Sshhh" at the time it was a secret.  I overheard them working together,
"I'll make the ears.  I'm good at making the ears." 
"Okay."  And then they were patiently taking turns with one another.

Wow, that puts a smile in a parent's heart.  As they were doing it, I was already thinking about how it will go in the memory box with a note that they came up with an idea to make something together and they pulled it off.  The beauty of the moment was shattered by high pitch screaming and crying by my daughter Mercea.  The intensity of the cry would make you think that she had sliced her finger off, but the cry was not due to an injury but rather it was from a disagreement about the color of the next body part.

The cry resulted in me sending them to their rooms for a "creativity break" and after a couple of minutes I sat and talked first to Mercea and then the two of them together.  The gist of the conversation was, that what will make this project special to Mommy and Daddy is the fact that they are doing it together.  The picture will be beautiful, but what will make it extra special is the fact that they did it together in love.  We talked about the need for compromise and cooperation.  They returned to their project and happily finished their grand surprise.

Many Christians want to do some "great" project for God.  Do you know what often gets in the way of doing something "great" for God?  People, especially those closest to us.  It is much easier to do a project then it is to love people.  I have tons of art pictures by my kids, they shoot them out at about 5-10 pieces a day.  Why then was I going to choose to treasure and store this particular picture?  Because they did it together, in love.  And I thought about God.  Throughout the course of a day, much more the course of human history, there are many people doing "things" in honor of God.  But in God's Word, He didn't command us to do 30 great things for Him over the course of the lifetime.  Yet that's what we so often strive after.  We as humans still tend to focus on outward projects.  We forget that He tells us that God does not look at the outward appearance, but He looks at the heart (I Samuel 16:7).

What did He ask us to do with our hearts?  He has asked us to love one another and yet this single command remains one of the hardest challenges of our lives.  Here is just a taste of the numerous requests:
John 13:34
A new command I give you: Love one another.
As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Romans 13:8
Let no debt remain outstanding,
 except the continuing debt to love one another,
for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
I Peter 1:22
Now that you have purified yourselves
by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers,
love one another deeply, from the heart.
I John 4:12
No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another,
God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

If you want to do something great for God, love your sisters and brothers in Christ.  I know as a parent, there is nothing that excites my heart more than seeing my two children working together in love.  I believe that seeing us love one another brings joy to God's heart.

In Christ,

4 comments:

  1. Like your daughter, I have cried thinking I have not performed a "great" act for Him. For a long time, the idea caused me as much pain as the wrong color caused your daughter. It took me a long time to realize that I was using the world's ideals and views, instead of God's.

    Thank you for the beautiful reminder Jaime! I plan on printing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! You have written a very good and biblical post.

    Mark 12:30-31
    And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no other commandment greater than these.”

    God bless you and your family

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night at a wedding here in south east PA, a family friend of mine told me that she follows your blog and loves it...so this morning, during 2 very rare QUIET moments (5 children under 4 yrs) in this home, I was treated to 2 of your quite insightful, relatable posts!! Love the 'real deal' your words speak of, as walking with our Father has nothing to do with performing or doing or behaving...but LOVE.

    I certainly will return! Beautiful blog with an even more beautiful message radiating from it!!!

    Warmly,
    Jeane`

    ReplyDelete
  4. A timely word
    Once again!
    Thanks Jaime
    Aims

    ReplyDelete

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...