Framing the day

2:00 am my son was throwing up in his bed hence, you can know that this post is not written from some lofty seat of imagination, pretending or wishful thinking...

Yesterday, these verses were a part of my Daily Prayer time and they framed my day.  As I read them though, they stuck in my spirit with a greater intensity. I desired to see these verses as a framework around my everyday - as a mother, a wife and a daughter of God.  The image that came to my mind was a house being built and these verses provided the interior framing for it:

Psalm 125:1-2
Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be shaken but endures forever.
2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people
both now and forevermore.

The  Lord surrounds his people - both now and forevermore.  To know exactly where you are placed is so reassuring.  He is before, behind and on both sides!  This position is not dependent upon who we are or what we do, but is dependent on the character of the Lord.  Reflecting on this alone, settles and secures my heart to move forward in the day with confidence and assurance.


Psalm 126
When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dreamed.
2 Our mouths were filled with laughter,
our tongues with songs of joy.
Then it was said among the nations,
“The Lord has done great things for them.”
3 The Lord has done great things for us,
and we are filled with joy.
4 Restore our fortunes, Lord,
like streams in the Negev.
5 Those who sow with tears
will reap with songs of joy.
6 Those who go out weeping,
carrying seed to sow,
will return with songs of joy,
carrying sheaves with them.

This Psalm became an anthem for me two years ago.  When I initially read it, it rang so true in my life.  I had just come out of a season of many tears  and I was just beginning to see a reaping of many joyful things.  But at the same time, there were now new situations in my life that were causing tears.  With these verses in mind, I decided to approach these situations differently.  I still approached them with tears, but this time there was a new hope of confidence.  I knew that following these tears there would be a season of rejoicing.  I could cry knowing that the Lord was hearing and responding and that I could be patient with His timing.  Before, I had cried in hopes that my tears would make Him move, now I cried knowing that He carries my tears and because of His character the current situation was not the end.  The very next day, I was played a song that sang this Psalm almost word for word in Kristene Mueller's song: Those who Dream.



Psalm 127
Unless the Lord builds the house,
the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the guards stand watch in vain.
2 In vain you rise early
and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

3 Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their opponents in court.

These verses mean so much to me.  Yes, you can look at it from the negative perspective - that I'm building in vain.  Or you can look at it from the truth of receiving His promises, because of His leading and guidance we are not building in vain.  The investments that we make on a daily basis are planting fruit and fruit that will last.  I love my children dearly.  They bring me so much joy and surprise me everyday.  I cannot wait to see how their lives impact this world for better.  Knowing my life, my daily steps are being walked out in trust of Him gives me confidence and assurance.

As I said in the beginning, these are verses that I want hang onto as a framework for my life in the season that I find myself.  I don't want them to be merely morning drive-by verses that warm my heart.  Rather, I am reflecting on them and letting them frame my thoughts and attitudes so that they provide the stability for the decisions and actions of my everyday.  As I trust in the Lord, His ways provides a security that I can rest in, no matter what is happening in my life at any given moment.

Resting in Him this day,




PS I've included two songs in this post.  Sometimes those who subscribe via e-mail cannot see the videos.  Click through to my blog if you want to hear the songs: Framing the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...