When Life Doesn't Make Sense

Sometimes it feels like life has spun us around and then threw us up. We find ourselves laying flat on the ground trying to make sense of all the crap around us but it still doesn’t make sense. We look up to heaven and ask “why” but all we hear as an answer is a deafening silence.

I cannot answer the “whys” of life and I am beginning to think that the majority of the whys won’t be answered on this side of earth. I can, however, tell you about the “who.” He is “I am who I am" no matter what situation you are facing today (Who I Am). All I know for sure is that “I AM” wants to let you know that during those “why times” He is intimately aware of everything you are facing and He cares (SELAH).

God’s obsession with us started in the womb and continues into every moment of our day.
Psalm 139:1-13:
O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.


These verses show us that we cannot escape the presence of God. He is aware of our words before we even say them. God is surrounding you and hemming you in from the front and the back to help you through whatever situation you are facing.

I was taking a shower the other day and noticed numerous strands of hair falling out. At first I was annoyed by them but then I was reminded of the verses from
Luke 12:5-7: “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?
Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”

I was then very thankful for those hairs because I knew that right there and then the Lord was thinking about me. Then I was awestruck; “He cares about something so insignificant as the number of hairs on my head!" I realized by looking at those hairs that the Lord wants to remind us throughout the day how much He loves us and how significant we are in His sight.

Then I thought about the fact that Jesus mentioned the sparrows. I think the majority of cultures in our world have some sort of small black birds. Jesus could easily have said, “God is aware when the ostriches and peacocks fall to the ground and die.” But instead he chose to talk about sparrows something that the majority of the people in the world have seen and know about because He wanted us to know that these truths did not relate to “special people” but that they applied to all people. Sparrows aren’t birds we have to go on great excursions to find. We often ignore and overlook them but the God of the universe cares about the “insignificant” of this world. He cares even more about you and I as individuals.

Perhaps even after all this you still feel the Lord has forgotten you and your struggles. Hopefully, Isaiah 49:14-16 will convince you that this is not the case:

But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me,
the Lord has forgotten me.”
"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast
and have no compassion on the child she has borne?
Though she may forget,
I will not forget you!
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me.”


Your name is engraved on the palms of the Lord’s hands. The Lord is aware of your “walls,” the situations in life that surround you everyday. If you are struggling to believe these words write them down and surround yourself with them until they go from your head to your heart.

I do not know where you in your journey of life, if you are on a valley or a mountaintop. But I just wanted to remind you today that you are significant right now with whatever you are doing in life because the Creator of the universe created you and He loves you. The next time you see a sparrow or one of your hairs on the ground take it as a personal reminder from the Lord that He is thinking of you!

1 comment:

  1. I'll never look at my hair in the shower the same :) A great reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Daily Prayer

Disqus for For His Glory Alone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...